- 8-10 meaty beef short ribs
- 1 bottle (12-16 oz) high-quality ale (I used Arrogant Bastard)—see NOTES
- 1 cup beef stock
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup pearl onions (frozen is OK)
- 2 cups carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 lbs small gourmet red potatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme -OR- ½ tsp dried
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil then brown the short ribs on all sides—you may have to do this in batches. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Drain any fat from the pan. Deglaze the pan with the beef stock and add the bay leaf and thyme.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the flour to a large bowl and gradually whisk in the ale so there are no lumps. Add the ale/flour mixture to the pan and stir until slightly thickened and put the short ribs back in the pan, cover and place in the oven; cook for 2 hours.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and pearl onions; stir. Bake, covered, for an additional hour or until ribs are tender.