Almond Milk Eggnog
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup granular Swerve Sweetener (or 1/4 cup Swerve and 1/4 tsp liquid stevia extract)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk use hemp milk for a nut-free version
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract divided
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup whipping cream use coconut whipped cream for dairy-free
- 1 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener
- Whiskey rum, or brandy, if desired (you can also use rum extract)
Whisk eggs, yolks, sweetener, and salt together in a large saucepan. Slowly whisk in almond milk until well combined. Using a candy thermometer, cook mixture over low heat while stirring constantly, until it becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and registers 165F (this can take up to 15 minutes).
- Stir in 2 tsp vanilla and nutmeg. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least three hours and up to 2 days.
- Just before serving, whip cream with powdered sweetener and remaining vanilla into soft peaks and gently fold into the egg mixture. Add 1 oz liquor or liqueur to each glass and pour eggnog over. Stir gently and sprinkle with grated nutmeg.