- 4 eggs (medium in Germany, large in US)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 75 g/ 2.6 oz/ ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80 g/ 2.8 oz/ 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 organic lemons
- 2 eggs (medium in Germany, large in US)
- 35 g/ 1.2 oz/ ¼ cup + 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ ½ cup sugar
- 200 ml/ 6.7 fl.oz/ ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 250 ml/ 8.5 fl.oz/ 1cup double cream
- 300 g/10.6 oz raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and water until frothy. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Carefully fold in the stiff egg whites. Sieve the flour over this mixture and fold in carefully.
- Pour the batter on the prepared baking tray and bake for about 12 minutes or until golden.
- In the meantime place a clean kitchen towel on the table and sprinkle it with some sugar. Carefully turn out the cake base onto this towel. Remove the baking paper. Let the cake cool completely.
- In the meantime make the lemon curd.
- Wash and dry the lemons and finely grate the zest, only the yellow part, the white is bitter. Juice the lemons as well.
- Give the lemon zest and juice to a saucepan. Add the eggs, cornstarch, sugar and water. Bring to a boil while whisking continuously, it will take about 5 minutes. Let bubble for a couple of seconds, then remove from the heat. Place a piece of cling film directly over the top of the curd to avoid it from getting a skin. Let cool completely.
- When the lemon curd is cold, whip 200 ml/ 6.7 fl.oz/ ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons of the double cream. Keep the remaining cream for decoration. Carefully fold the whipped cream into the lemon curd. Place the filling in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime wash and dry the raspberries. Set a few nice ones aside for decoration purposes. Halve the cake base to obtain two equal parts.
- Place one cake slice on a rectangular serving platter. Spread ½ of the filling on top and add the raspberries, cover them with the remaining lemon curd filling and place the second cake slice on top. Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours before serving.
- Just before serving cut the cake into squares. Beat the remaining double cream, give it to a piping bag and pipe cream rosettes on the cake squares. Place a raspberry on top of each rosette. Sprinkle the cake with some icing sugar.