Balsamic Beet Salad with Arugula, Goat Cheese, and Walnuts
- 1 1/2 pounds of beets (8-9 medium beets)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I prefer fig balsamic)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups arugula
- 2 oz of goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Remove greens, scrub clean, and cover beets with about an inch of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until fork inserts easily, about 35-40 minutes
- Cool under cold water, remove skins.
- Allow to cool to room temperature; cut into quarters.
- Mix 3 tablespoons balsamic and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in saucepan and put heat on low.
- Add beets, stir to coat, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool, then beets can either be used in salad, or stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days until you are ready to use them. I prefer to let mine sit for a day and let the flavor deepen.Salad
- Divide arugula among 4 plates.
- Sprinkle goat cheese and walnuts on top of greens.
- Add beets.
- Drizzle balsamic and olive oil mixture from beets on top, add extra balsamic and olive oil as needed.