- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (1 oz) packet taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies (or petite diced tomatoes)
- 2 cups beef broth (or water)
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- Now make the cheese sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Brown and drain ground beef. Stir in taco seasoning, Rotel, beef broth, and macaroni and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover pan. Simmer 12-14 minutes until macaroni is tender.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 4-5 minutes until it becomes fragrant and starts to turn a light brown color. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Whisk until smooth and mixture starts to thicken. Remove mixture from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the hamburger mixture. Stir gently to combine.