- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups King Arthur All-Purpose Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups (12 ounces) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Batter
- two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- To make the brownie batter: In a large saucepan, melt the butter, then stir in the sugar, cooking until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla. Allow to cool slightly, around 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the eggs, then the flour, stirring until smooth.
- To make the cream cheese batter: Beat the cream cheese until no lumps remain. Mix in the sugar and flour, then the vanilla, cream, and eggs.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the brownie batter.
- Spoon half the brownie batter into the prepared pan, then top with the cream cheese batter.
- Dollop the remaining brownie batter onto the cream cheese, swirling the two together.
- Bake the brownies for 40 to 45 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, and the edges are set.
- Remove them from the oven, and loosen the edges with a table knife. Cool completely (preferably overnight) before cutting.