- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegan granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 5 Tbsp vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg. Set aside.
- Combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a measuring cup, and set aside.
- Add the flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar to a medium bowl and mix well.
- Melt the margarine in the microwave in a heatproof medium-sized bowl. Slowly add the almond milk mixture to the butter, whisking vigorously while you pour it in. Add the flax mixture and the vanilla, and mix well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well, until few lumps remain (but don’t go too crazy).
- Cook the waffles according to your waffle maker’s instructions.*
- Eat right away, or let cool on a wire rack and freeze in an airtight zip-top bag for future enjoyment!