Hungarian Semolina Dumpling Soup
- 150 grams (5.3 ounces) of chicken breast fillet,
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of green peas,
- 1 small onion,
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices,
- 1 parsley root, peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices,
- Bunch of parsley,
- Half of a medium kohlrabi,
- 6-8 Brussels sprouts,cut in half,
- Ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil)
For The Dumplings:
- 2 whole eggs
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of semolina
- 1 flat tablespoon of salt
- Heat a little oil in a soup pot.
- f you make it with meat, add it now, season with salt and ground black pepper. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes or until the meat has been seared on all sides.
- Add the whole peeled onion, the carrots, the parsley roots (or parsnips), the cubed kohlrabies, the green peas and the Brussel sprouts. Add 1,5 liters of water, salt to taste and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- In the meantime, you have to prepare the semolina dumplings.
- In a bowl mix 2 whole eggs with 100 grams of semolina. Do not whisk the eggs, just stir gently. Do not add any salt to the mixture. Put it in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes, the semolina will absorb some moisture, the batter will get thicker.