For The Chicken Marinade
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For The Sauce
- 2 white onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes, diced small
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 cup ground raw almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 a small red chili, de-seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- Drizzle the chicken with the oil and sprinkle on the garam masala, curry powder, salt and pepper. Massage into the meat and cover, leaving to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: place the onions, garlic, and 1 cup of water in the bowl of a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Measure out the spices (curry powder through nutmeg) into a small bowl.
- In a large saucepan heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the pureed onion mixture and cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until it begins to darken in color.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, ground almonds, coconut milk, yogurt, red chili, pre-measured spices, and brown sugar. Stir well.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer 30 minutes. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan; simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Serve with steamed basmati rice and/or naan.