Instant Pot Chicken Salsa Queso Soup
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ⅓ cups chunky salsa (mild, medium or hot depending on your preference)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground chipotle powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ dried parsley
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened and cubed
- ½ cup Jack cheese
- ¼ cup queso fresco, crumbled, optional
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, optional
- Add chicken broth, salsa, sea salt, garlic powder, chipotle powder, black pepper, coriander, cumin, and parsley to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Stir ingredients until combined.
- Add the chicken thighs to the pot. Cover, lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to the Sealing position.
- Select Pressure Cook (Manual) on High-Pressure setting and set the cook timer to 20 minutes.
- Once cooking time is complete, let the pressure release Naturally for 10 minutes and then Quick release all the remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and use a slotted spoon to transfer just the chicken thighs to a cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and stir into the soup.
- Select Saute mode on the Instant Pot and bring the soup to a boil. Add the cream cheese cubes to the pot and stir continuously until the cream cheese is melted into the soup (it is okay if there are tiny unmelted pieces of cream cheese).
- Press cancel to turn off the pot and add the Jack cheese and stir until melted into the soup.
- Serve soup in bowls and sprinkle each with ½ tbsp crumbled queso fresco and 1 tsp chopped cilantro. Serve hot.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Place all the ingredients except for the queso fresco and cilantro, into a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and slow cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Once slow cooking time is complete, transfer just the chicken to a cutting board and shred the chicken thighs with two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir into the soup.
- Serve soup in bowls and sprinkle each with queso fresco and optional cilantro. Serve hot.