For the Marinade:
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar can substitute with balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger powder
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup canola oil
- Approximately 2 lbs. flank steak
- 4 chopped green onions
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients until completely combined.
- Place steak in a deep dish or in a large Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over steaks, add green onions, and cover (or seal bag) and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, prepare your grill for high.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and place steak on the hot grill. Dispose of marinade. Grill for about 4-6 minutes per side, or until done to your liking (a meat thermometer should read 125 to 130°F for rare, 140°F for medium rare, and 150°F for medium).
- When the steak has cooked to your preferred level of doneness, remove from the grill and place on a cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil to hold in the heat while the steak rests for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut the steak across the grain of the meat, at a steep diagonal, so that the slices are wide. A serrated knife works best for this.
Alternate Cooking Method in Oven (Broiled):
- Preheat broiler. Remove steak from marinade and place on broiler pan. Broil 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board to rest for about 10 minutes until slicing and serving.