- 4 chicken thighs bone-in, skin on
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper fresh cracked
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oildivided
- 8 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup long grain rice or basmati rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme chopped fresh
- 2 teaspoons rosemary chopped fresh
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes julienned
- 6.5 ounce jar marinated artichokesroughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley for garnishchopped for garnish (optional)
- Large heavy skillet with a tight fitting lid 10-12 inch
- Dry the chicken thighs with a paper towel and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Place a large heavy skillet on the stove and heat over medium high heat for one minute. Add one tablespoon olive oil and and rotate the pan so the oil slicks across and covers the bottom. Place the chicken thighs skin-side-down in the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Use tongs to flip the chicken and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened and brown. Transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and saute for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened and translucent. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally until the rice begins to take on some color, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, thyme, rosemary and red pepper flakes and add the chicken broth, sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes. Add the mushrooms back into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and use the tongs to nestle the chicken thighs into the rice mixture. Put the lid tightly on the pan and reduce the heat to a simmer (medium low). Cook for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.