Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
- 5 chicken thigh fillets , bone in, skin OFF
- 1 onion , chopped (brown, white or yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic (large) , minced
- 2 tbsp/ 30 g butter (or olive oil)
- 1 1/2 cups / 270 g long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml chicken broth/stock
- 1 1/4 cups / 312 ml water, hot (tap is fine)
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves or finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Scatter onion and garlic in a baking dish (about 10 x 15″ / 25 x 35 cm), then place butter in the centre. Bake for 15 minutes (check at 12 minutes, mix if some bits are browning too much).
- Meanwhile, mix together Chicken Rub. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Remove baking dish from the oven. Add rice then mix.
- Place chicken on rice. Then pour chicken broth and water around the chicken.
- Cover with foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, spray chicken with oil (optional), then bake for a further 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Stand for 5 minutes, then remove chicken and fluff up rice. Garnish with parsley if desired, serve and enjoy!