- 1/3 cup kosher salt, (90g, 3 ounces)
- 1 cup hot water, (240ml)
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 1 pound scallops, (454g) U15 size, 14 to 16 per pound
Pan Seared Scallops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, (30ml)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, (30g, 1 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, (8g)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, (30ml)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, (15ml)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, (30ml)
- black pepper, as needed for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- Combine salt and hot water in a medium bowl, stir until the salt is mostly dissolved. Add ice cubes, once the water is cold add scallops.
- Brine scallops for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with paper towels.
- Place another sheet of paper towel on top of scallops, gently pressing until each piece is dry. The drier the scallops, the better the sear.
- Allow scallops to sit for 10 minutes at room temperature before cooking.
- Right before cooking, lightly season both sides with salt.
Pan Seared Scallops
- Heat a large 12-inch pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, add scallops to the pan in a single layer.
- Gently press scallops with a spatula so that they make direct contact with the pan.
- Pan sear until golden brown on the surface, not moving them, about 3 minutes.
- Add butter to the pan and allow to melt.
- Flip scallops over, use and spoon to baste with butter, tilting the pan as needed and cook until firm but tender, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to a clean plate.
- Using the same pan to cook the scallops, turn the heat up to medium.
- Add in garlic and saute until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add in lemon juice and lemon zest, scrape the pan to remove any browned bits and stir into the sauce, cook about 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in Dijon mustard. Add in cream and whisk to combine.
- If needed, add in some water to the sauce if you want a thinner consistency. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add scallops back to the pan, and warm over low heat, 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped dill and black pepper, serve warm.