Perfect Valentine’s Day Dinner
- 2 2-3″ Thick Filet Mignon or Boneless Rib Eye
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2-3 Tablespoons Butter
- 4-5 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Large Cloves Garlic
- Bring filets to room temperature.
- Turn steak onto its flattest edge. Find the middle of the thickness and gently slice through the rounded side of the meat. Only cut ¾ of the way through.
- Let each side of the meat fall to either side and carefully continue slicing until meat is the same thickness all the way across the filet.
- Place cast iron skillet on stove top and turn heat up to high.
- Add salt and pepper to both sides of filets.
- Once pan is rip roarin’ hot, drop steaks into pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side (for medium rare). Add 2 minutes per side for every level of doneness beyond medium rare.
- Once crust has formed on second side, add butter to pan.
- While it’s melting, add thyme and garlic to pan.
- Swirl butter around pan to coat undersides of meat.
- Tilt pan and spoon melted butter over top of the steaks.
- Move the garlic cloves into the melted butter to add even more garlic flavor to the steaks.
- Remove pan from heat and place filets on a large plate.
- Let rest for 10 minutes, so that the juices can re-distribute in the meat.
Yields: 2 serving