- 2 cups cubed cooked smoked ham
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 pounds cooked potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 795g jar or sauerkraut, drained, rinsed and drained again (28 ounce can)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 large free range eggs
- 4 TBS milk
- 240g grated strong cheddar cheese (I use a mix of orange and white for colour) (2 cups)
- Preheat your oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Melt the butter in a large skillet until it begins to foam. Add the onion and ham. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, without browning. Add the drained and rinsed sauerkraut and paprika and mix well together.
- Place half of your sliced potatoes in a buttered 9 inch casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the ham and sauerkraut mixture over top. Cover with the remaining potatoes. Season again. Beat together the eggs and milk. Pour this over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until heated through and the cheese is bubbly. Serve hot.