Thai Chicken Soup with Basil and Lime
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves — finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 10 green beans — cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 scallion — thinly sliced on diagonal (reserve some green scallion to garnish)
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil (plus some whole basil leaves to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 red chili — thinly sliced into rounds, to garnish (optional)
- HEAT the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- ADD the curry paste and garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- ADD the stock, coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar and bring to the boil.
- ADD the green beans, then reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 3 minutes, uncovered.
- ADD the bean sprouts, chicken and scallion and simmer for 2 minutes, uncovered.
- REMOVE from the heat and stir in the basil and lime juice.
- SPOON into bowls, garnish with extra basil leaves, scallion and sliced red chili (if using).