For The Cake:
- 200 gr (1 cup) of sugar
- 120 gr (1 stick) melted butter
- 165 gr eggs about 3 eggs
- the zest of 1 lemon
- 150 gr (1 1/4 cup) flour
- 80 gr lemon juice about 2 lemons, depending on their size
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For The Lemon Icing
- 25 gr lemon juice 1/2 lemon
- 130 gr (1 1/3) icing sugar
Substitute Lemon Syrup For The Icing
- 100 gr lemon juice about 2-3 lemons, depending on their size
- 100 gr (1/2 cup) sugar
Prepare The Batter
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Mix the melted butter, 200 g of sugar and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the eggs, flour and baking powder and mix again before adding the lemon juice.
- Line your cake tin with baking paper and pour the cake to about 2/3 of the tin. Cook for 30-40 min – you will know that the cake is done when your knife comes out dry when pricking the cake.
- Place the cake on a rack until it is tepid and then wrap in cling film and let cool.
- As soon as the lemon bread is at room temperature, prepare the glaze by mixing the icing sugar with the lemon juice.
- Place a plate under the cooling rack and unwrap the loaf. Pour the icing over the loaf.
- Using a knife or a spatula, even out the icing so that the surplus falls onto the plate. The goal is to end up with a thin icing layer.
- Place the oven and cooling rack back in the oven and bake for 8 min at 100°C (210 F) to dry the icing. The icing should now be silky to the touch.
- Place the lemon juice and sugar in a pan and bring to a simmer until the mixture becomes a syrup.
- Poke small holes into the cake surface and pour the syrup over it. The syrup will add moisture and even more of a lemon flavour to the cake!