- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup currants (dried)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 – 2 Tbsp sugar, for sprinkling
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and currants.
- Make a well in the center and add in egg and milk.
- Using a fork, mix in the ingredients until dough comes together.
- Flour a work surface and then roll dough out to approximately the thickness of your baby finger.
- Cut out with a round cookie cutter. (Apparently, traditionally the edges should also be fluted!)
- Reroll the trimmings and cut out more rounds.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease with either cooking spray or a little butter.
- Place as many rounds as will fit on the skillet without touching.
- Cook approx 3 -4 minutes on the first side. Carefully flip over.
- Cook for another 3 or so minutes. (If bottoms are going too dark, too fast then turn down your heat!)
- Remove from pan to a wire rack.
- Sprinkle immediately with a little sugar.
- Continue cooking remaining cakes.
- These are amazing served warm with a little butter OR room temp with some jam.