For the Cookie Dough:
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (packed – about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest for garnish if desired
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add ½ cup of confectioners’ sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Gently blend on low until incorporated, scrapping down sides with a spatula as needed.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, cornstarch and salt. Whisk together.
- Add the flour in four batches to the creamed butter and lemon mixture. Blend on medium low until each is incorporated.
- Place the cookie dough in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To bake the cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop a level spoonful of dough using a 1-inch cookie scoop. Roll each into a tight ball and place two inches apart on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- If you want to make cookie discs, press each dough ball to the desired thickness using the bottom of a flat glass covered with a small piece of wax paper.
- Bake for 13 minutes at 350 degrees until lightly browned around the edges. Slide the parchment paper onto a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with a new piece of parchment paper placed on a cooled cookie sheet. Cool cookies completely if using a glaze. If covering in confectioners’ sugar, allow the hot cookies to cool for a few minutes then toss in 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar. Cool completely on the wire rack.
- To make the glaze, mix together 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice. Add more lemon juice or sugar as needed to reach desired consistency. Garnish with lemon zest if desired.
- Allow the glaze to fully set then store cookies in a cool place or refrigerator.
- Prep time does not include 1 hour cooling time for the dough.
Yields: 36 serving